Monday, February 23, 2009

WA5 D2

I can’t seem to settle my stomach. I can’t count the number of times I have vomited today anymore, there is nothing at all left in my stomach. I take Pete’s hand in mine and they are soaked in sweat, he is just as nervous as I am. The guests have all filed in and are in their seats. Nothing has gone wrong yet, hopefully nothing will. Pete hugs me, its time for every one to go get in position.
Daddy and I walk to the back of the church together. Daddy squeezes my hand, I have never been this nervous. Daddy smiles at me and I know he knows how I’m feeling and he is telling me that everything will be ok, I sure hope so. I hear the organ start to play, its time. I don’t think I can breathe. It feels like my lungs are made out of lead. I don’t think I can go through with this. I need to start walking; I force one foot in front of the other. I look over and I can see Pete’s young cousin squirming in his seat, his parents scolding him and I realize why I'm doing all of this, I can’t wait to have children.
We finally finish the never ending journey down the aisle and Pete takes my hands in his as Father O’ Franklin begins talking. I don’t hear much between “Dearly beloved” and “You may now kiss the bride” but I think I remember saying an “I do” in there somewhere. I hear everyone cheering as Pete and I run from the church and I think that I saw my mother sobbing. I shake my head as I run at that woman and her ridiculous tears, its not like I’m the first one to get married, all eleven of my sisters already have.
Pete and I climb into the car waiting to take us to the farm where the tent in which the reception is taking place. We try and relax during the twenty-minute drive but we know that if we get through the speeches without something terrible happening it will be a miracle. We just try and enjoy these few moments of peace before all hell brakes loose.
We get to the farm and its beautiful. Everything is perfect; everyone sits down and is served without any serious incidents. Then the food is served, and I realize that we made a fantastic choice with the caterer. The food is delicious, it is the best lobster I have ever had. Miraculously we got through the entire night with out any problems more serious than the children eating too much of the wonderful chocolate cake and getting a bit wild. It was the best day of my life.

No comments: